When to contact the Office of the Student Ombudsman?

Students should visit the academic or administrative department related to their inquiries or problems initially. The one who thinks that the answer was not satisfiying or the problem has remained, should visit the Office of Student Ombudsman. 

You may contact the Office in person, by call or e-request form

If it is an academic issue, you may solve it by following the chain below;

Sample problem-solving for academic issues:




When talking to the Ombudsman or representatives from other offices;

  1. Try to explain the issue in a clear and detailed way.
  2. Talk to the right person to find the right solution.
  3. Focus on the solution and be positive.
  4. Avoid to use offensive language. 
  5. Be aware the fact that sudden reactions may weaken the motivation of the person who tries to help you.