A Student Ombudsman always
- Listens to students’ problems.
- Creates a safe speaking environment.
- Receives suggestions, requests and complaints.
- Conducts an unbiased and unofficial investigation of problems.
- Provides students with information on University rules and policies.
- Analyses, defines, considers options and provides guidance.
- Acting as an unbiased intermediary between students and faculty/staff, s/he offers solutions using unofficial trails.
- Teaches students efficient ways to deal with problems.
- Reviews student request forms and letters; provide students with information on how to fill out official forms and write formal letters.
A Student Ombudsman never
- Acts on explicit or implicit bias.
- Changes student grades or University rules.
- Provides legal advice.
- Takes action without explicit permission or consent.
- Takes on tasks/responsibilities outside his/her role to avoid conflicts that can damage his/her position at the University.
- Suggestions, requests and complaints submitted to the Student Ombudsman’s Office are thoroughly examined.
- After an unofficial investigation, Student Ombudsman considers options in accordance with University rules and policies.
- If deemed appropriate, Student Ombudsman refers student to the relevant office/person that is directly related to the student’s request.
- Student Ombudsman talks to the relevant office/person that is directly related to the student’s request to reach a consensus about the request. Accordingly, Student Ombudsman will respond in the shortest possible time.
- Student Ombudsman may offer suggestions to other units of the University in terms of improving their decision-making process.