Referral Guide

When to Refer a Student to PSU

If you have been observing the following changes in student’s behaviors for quite some time, you should suggest the student to contact the PSU:

Behavioral changes

  • Self-harming/self-injuring tendencies,

  • Behaviors involving in which student harms and/or attacks objects, animals, and/or other people,

  • Significant decline in academic performance and extracurricular activities,

  • Social withdrawal where student isolates himself/herself from other people and social activities,

In case of emergency:

      • Due to the fact that the risk of self-harming and harming other people is an event of emergency; you should, first of all, call Health Services Unit; University Security Services; Administrative Affairs Department; Health, Culture & Sports Department, and CAPS, and request them to come at once to the scene of accident so as to protect student’s bodily integrity.

      • For further information on emergency cases, please refer to the emergency action guide.

Emotional changes

  • Intense and exaggerated emotional reactions (student appears anxious, nervous, panicky, depressive or aggressive),

  • Severe mood swings (rapid alternation between feelings of depression and euphoria),

Physical changes

  • Significant weight gain or weight loss,

  • Lack of self-care in terms of personal health and hygiene,

  • Suspicious physical changes like alarming eye redness or burning, cutting, self-mutilation scars.

Poor academic performance

  • Neglected homework or studies,

  • Significant decline in student’s academic achievement/performance (non-attendance at lectures or classes, a trend going towards lower grades),

  • If you notice that the expression and language student uses in assignments and exams reflect signs of suicidal tendencies, destructive anger or severe depression.

Relational changes

  • Severe withdrawal and isolation from social situations,

  • If you receive numerous complaints from his/her friends about the way s/he is acting; if you observe s/he demonstrates incompatible, fractious or troublesome behavior,

  • If s/he continues to demonstrate disruptive or irritating behaviors despite your warnings.


How to refer a student for counseling

  • First of all, make time for your student and talk to him/her in a one-on-one environment.

  • Tell him/her about his/her behaviors that you are concerned about.

  • Avoid being judgmental and labeling him/her when you tell him/her about the changes you noticed in him/her lately.

  • Make him/her see that you are interested in hearing what s/he has to tell you, and you are eager to listen to him/her.

  • Give him/her enough time to explain (S/he might be experiencing an issue causing behavioral changes in him/her such as the loss of a loved one; change of place; dorm room change etc.).

  • Try to listen carefully without judging, condemning and speculating.

  • If s/he says that s/he is having difficulty to deal with problems all alone by himself/herself, tell him/her that s/he can always contact the CAPS to increase his/her will and power to fight problems.

  • When you refer the student for counseling, avoid using tactics of coercive persuasion.

  • Do not forget that psychological counseling would be much more effective if the student WILLINGLY AND VOLUNTARILY seeks help.

  • All information provided by the student shall be kept private and not be shared with any third party in accordance with the CAPS’s CONFIDENTIALITY POLICY. However, after having obtained student’s permission, general information may be disclosed to the person who referred the student for counseling where necessary